After a cold, dark winter and lots of chess-playing, the TS boys have decided to give their spring training a swift kick-in-the-pants as they duke it out again in yet another Great Monthly Mileage Challenge (GMMC) for May. But this ain't your grandfather's GMMC. Lot's of format changes...
First and foremost, the teams and nicknames have been changed. Gone are the South Side Scrappers and the Apple Hill Highlanders. Instead, in this corner we have "The Gladheatehers" (long story). Their roster consists of Shortcut (formerly known as J-Dog) and Shocker (formerly known as Sourdough). And in this corner, I give you "GRR United" (another long story). Their banner is carried by Ghost Runner (formerly known as Coach) and Law-Man (formerly known as K-Law).
Second and secondmost, the score will simply be based on cummulative miles at the end of the month. This is a change from the last challenge where the teams tried to win the most days, which involved a certain degree of strategic planning. So there will be a little less strategy involved this time around...each team is simply going to try to run more than the other in May.
Third, the reward for the winning team is different and rather unique: The losing team is forced to adopt the winning team's name for the next GMMC while the winning team picks a new name. Since each team has proclaimed their opponent's name downright ridiculous, this should serve as a rather compelling reward.
And after Shortcut's proclamation that there would be virutually "no rules" it turns out that there are plenty...
1. A workout must consist of at least 3 miles of non-stop running to count. Pace does not matter.
2. Breaks (bathroom or otherwise) of 20 minutes or less during a workout is allowed.
3. Miles must be logged online by the end of each day and log access must be made available to all competitors.
4. Ghost Runner's dog-running miles count as long as he's running (also see rule #1). Izzy better get herself into shape very quickly.
5. No conversion of bike miles to running miles (this is excellent news for GRR United).
Alright, May's GMMC challenge starts at midnight. This one's gonna be a doozie!